Are you considering a career in real estate in Texas? Then you’ll need to obtain a real estate license. Here’s everything you need to know about getting a real estate license in Texas.
Steps to Obtaining a Real Estate License in Texas
1. Meet the Requirements: To obtain a real estate license in Texas, you must be at least 18 years old, have a high school diploma or GED, and be a US citizen or lawfully present in the US.
2. Take the Pre-Licensing Course: You must complete 180 hours of pre-licensing education and pass the course exam with a score of 70 percent or higher.
3. Apply for the License: You must submit an application to the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC). This application must include a background check and fingerprints.
4. Pass the State Exam: Once your application is approved, you must pass the state exam. This exam consists of two parts, a national portion and a state portion.
5. Obtain a Broker’s License: Once you’ve obtained your real estate license, you may choose to obtain a broker’s license. This requires additional education and experience.
Tips for Obtaining a Real Estate License in Texas
1. Take the Pre-Licensing Course: Taking the pre-licensing course is the first step to obtaining a real estate license in Texas. This course will provide you with the knowledge and skills you need to pass the state exam.
2. Prepare for the State Exam: Once you’ve completed the pre-licensing course, you should begin preparing for the state exam. This exam covers both national and state topics, so it’s important to study both.
3. Get Experience: Obtaining a broker’s license requires additional education and experience. Consider working as an apprentice or interning with an experienced broker to gain the necessary experience.
4. Stay Up-to-Date: Once you’ve obtained your real estate license, it’s important to stay up-to-date with industry changes and trends. Consider taking continuing education courses to stay informed.
Now that you know what it takes to obtain a real estate license in Texas, you can begin the process of becoming a real estate agent. With the right education and experience, you can begin a successful career in real estate.